Starting from 1966 to date, several Indian Nuclear scientists have been reported to be dead under mysterious circumstances. This includes the father of Indian Nuclear Program Dr. Homi Jehangir Bhabha. Dr. Bhabha is said to have died in an air crash near Mt Blanc in Swiss Alps, but incidentally no debris of it were ever found in last almost 50 years. Incidentally, he died just after declaring publicly that India could produce a nuclear device in a short span of time. Some conspiracy theories point towards CIA sabotage. Truth is at large in this case.
The case got more attention off recently with more mysterious deaths between 2009 and 2013 not reported by the mainstream media in India. the list goes like -
- June 15, 2009 - Lokanathan Mahalingam from Kaiga Atomic Power Station
- December 30, 2009 - Umang Singh and partha Pratim Bag - Bhabha Atomic Research Center
- February 23, 2010 - M Iyer - Bhabha Atomic Research Center
- April 2011 - Uma Rao - Associated with Bhabha Atomic Research Center
- 2012 - Mohammad Mustafa - Indiara Gandhi Center of Atomic Research
- October 2013 - KK Joshi and Abhish Shivam - Engineers on indigenious nuclear poered submarine - INS Arihant
- Undated - Ravi Mule - Nuclear Power Corporation India Ltd.
- March 3, (year unknown) - Titus Pal - Bhabha Atomic Research Center
- Undated - Dalia Nayek - Saha Institute of Nuclear Physics
There were another cases of reported suicides including 5 from Bhabha Atomic Research Center - Avdesh Chandra (2000), Ashutosh Sharma and Soumik Chowdhary (2010), Akshay P Chavan (2010) and Subhash Sonawane (2010) - All mysterious cases of suicide or as reported suicide..
When I started reviewing each case individually, what came to my attention is the lethargic investigation by the cops and the luke-worm or no coverage by the prestitude media on these cases. Certainly these cases of mysterious deaths and suicides should be followed up by a rigorous investigation by the cops and should ring an alarming bell for the government. If we would keep losing our scientists at such rate, we may end up losing the race without knowing the real cause of their deaths. It may even push other scientists to move away from countries prestigious and self sustained Nuclear Science program creating a dearth of skills in that arena.
Though I expect very less from the Prestitude Media of India as they wouldn't find this as a selling news and they would prefer to not cover this as a front-line news. They would prefer to be engaged in Yellow Journalism highlighting the State Convicts as the Wronged hero and giving cover to their story as it sells!!!!
But the readers of this blog and others from where this is sourced need to be more active through Social Media and press for thorough investigation in each such death!!!